Perky-Pet® Squirrel Resistant Beginner Bundle - Specifications
- Strong wire grate and metal base on feeder prevents access to squirrels, while the dome bounces and wobbles throwing squirrels off balance when attempting to snatch the bird food. Removable pole and grate for easy cleaning
- Lyric Supreme Wild Bird Mix in 4.5 lb bag attracts a wide variety of birds
- Quick Fill Seed Scoop with finger control seed release for filling seed feeders in a snap - durable, hi-impact construction
What's in the Box:
- (1) platform bird feeder
- (1) 4.5 lb bag of supreme wild bird mix
- (1) quick fill seed scoop
- .5 lb seed capacity, feeder
- Seed attracts a wide variety of seed eating birds
- 4 cup capacity seed scoop
Disclaimer: Birdfeeder does not endorse any information contained in product reviews. Please follow all label instructions for your specific use.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Review RateNot effective
Squirrels were able to get into feeder after the second day. Wasn't very effective at all. The bird seed that came with the feeder was a huge attraction for the squirrels. I tried adjusting the feeder, but didn't work so ended up taking down.Response From Perky-Pet®Susan : Consumer Relations Representative
Once assembled, the locking bolt and locking nut can be used to adjust the baffle. This will allow you to lower the baffle to stop squirrels from stealing the seed.
We apologize that this was not your experience and would like the opportunity to learn more. Please feel free to contact our Consumer Relations Team at 1-855-PERKYPET (1-855-737-5973) for additional assistance.
Review RateSquirrel FoilerWe have pesky squirrels and rodents vying for our wild bird food. So we're investing in bird feeders that are for birds only. This feeder is working great and I love the rain guard above the feeder.... a 2 for 1 in this feeder.
Review RatePlatform feeder is the bestThis has become, by far my favorite feeder. It handles whatever food most of my favorite birds are looking for...w/my homemade suet being currently #1. And with its generous platform, they tend to stay longer to accommodate my view!
Review RateSquirrel-proof platform feederI'm very pleased with this feeder. It's hard to find a squirrel-thwarting PLATFORM feeder...especially for under $30! This one works very well,
Review RateAmazon ReviewI bought this feeder because I wanted to have something the mourning doves could feed from. We have Canada geese hang around a lot, so I can't put seed on the ground as they'll gobble it all up in no time! I like that you can vary the space between the base & the baffle. I do wish it was a bit larger in diameter, but it works well enough for at least two doves at a time to sit on it. I saw from other reviews that other people who purchased this didn't use the mesh cover; I don't either. It does make it more difficult for the birds to reach the seed, although it would help keep the seed inside. It's a nice feeder for the price!
Review RateAmazon ReviewI was a bit concerned how this would work given that the grille makes some of the seed harder to reach. However, the feeder has two benefits:1. It provides ample perching room for birds small or big and it's used for that with or without seed. Doves even used it as rain shelter :)2. Because, as the level of seed drops below the grille, it is a bit more difficult to get to the seeds birds tend to hang around more just trying to get to the food making for a better "show"I typically put about a cup of seed and that's enough for a day or two of fast followed by slow foraging.
Review RateAmazon Review, Nice little feederThis is a cute little bird feeder. I wanted a smaller one to put my leftover seeds from my bigger feeder and this seemed to be about right. It's easy to put together and the birds like it. This price seems a bit high for the quality though. The top is hard plastic and it had a few scratches on it that already all that attractive, but I guess the birds don't really care. It's short so I bought a chain to put it on. So far so good.
Review RateAmazon ReviewThis feeder is well constructed and will keep squirrels away if hung correctly. I hung it where the squirrel could access it from the side, so bypassing the springy dome, so that was my fault. However, the grid does not deter the squirrel. You can adjust the dome so that larger birds can gain access, and in fact, that's all I've seen in it is the larger birds. The smaller ones seem to prefer my platform feeder or the other standard feeder. Perhaps the smaller birds are scared by the moving dome. In any case, it is well made and will stand up to weather, it looks like, and holds a lot of food. I may try putting a smaller seed in and move it and see what happens. I did see a woodpecker at it that I have not seen for a while, but I also put new food out. Greater for the larger birds, I'd say.
Review RateAmazon ReviewThe squirrel shield seems to work well; I hung this feeder just a few feet from another one that the squirrels are always in and I haven't seen a single one on this unit. That same shield seems to keep birds from it, too, at least at first. It took about a week and a half before the birds started using this unit, but once they started, they seem to be using it just as much as the one we already had. I think it's because the shield sways and wobbles with every breeze and it was scaring the birds at first. It would be nice if the feeder held more seed; it has to be refilled every day. But at least what it holds is going to birds, not squirrels.
Review RateAmazon Review, QualityThis is very stable. The birds can get up in here and stay out of the rain. Sometimes the larger birds have trouble with other feeder's perches not being large enough, but this one is. It is good construction.
- All About
All About Wild Birds
Wild birds are so common to us that we often glance at them without a second thought. When we really look at them, observe them and enjoy their special qualities, we can truly appreciate some of nature's amazing creatures.
Check out our Wild Bird Library to find out about some of your favorite birds!
Wild Bird Feeders - Expert Tips
Hanging Your Feeder
- Ideally a sheltered southeastern exposure location is best for hanging bird feeders since birds like to feed in the sun and out of the wind. Birds also prefer not to have any obstructions over their feeding area so they can see any predators. more»
- Bird Baths - A clean and reliable water source is an excellent way to attract birds to your yard, especially those birds that do not necessarily eat seed or nectar. All birds will seek out a water supply, not only for drinking but also for keep themselves clean and healthy.
- Bird Houses - These are a good way to attract those species of birds that nest in holes. These structures should be made of an untreated wood (pine, cedar, etc.) and should have ventilation and drainage holes. It should be durable, and easy to check and clean.more»
- Keeping your feeder clean and full of fresh bird seed is very important to the health of visiting birds. It is recommended that you clean your wild bird feeder every two weeks. more»
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What are the most popular bird seeds to use?
A: Black Oil Sunflower Seed is the most popular bird seed. It is much smaller than the traditional sunflower seed and best for those birds with smaller bills, such as the sparrow, junco and goldfinch. This seed is accepted by the greatest variety of birds.
Mixed Seed is also popular. It is best to buy the mixes that contain white proso millet, a tiny cream colored seed with a shiny shell. Mixes containing finely cracked corn and black oil sunflower are also preferred by a large number of birds.
Thistle Seed is imported from Africa and Asia. Thistle won't germinate, however, it has a tendency to become moldy due to lack of air circulation. If you notice mold on the seed, it must be removed from the feeder and the feeder must be cleaned thoroughly.
Q: How do I clean my bird feeders?
A: No/No feeders can be dish washed or hand washed. Before filling your feeders with fresh seed, it is recommended that the following precautions are taken:
- Remove all old seed.
- Place the feeder on top rack of the dish washer.
- Allow the feeder to dry completely before refilling.
- Remove all old seed.
- Soak feeder in a light water/bleach solution (9 parts water to 1 part bleach).
- Gently cleanse feeder and allow to air dry.
After the feeder is clean and dry follow these steps
- Rake and remove accumulated hulls and droppings from underneath the feeders.
- Spread mulch (bark or wood) under the feeder, replace mulch when soiled.
- Thoroughly wash hands after handling and cleaning feeders.
Q: What is the importance of providing water for wild birds?
A: Wild birds need fresh, clean water just as much as they need seed. Birds stay healthy by using water not just for drinking, but also for bathing, cleaning their feathers and to remove parasites. Waterers are better options than bird baths because they provide birds with fresh, clean water that prevents dirt and debris from contaminating it. In hotter climates or seasons, providing water for birds makes it easy for them to have access to a water source and retain their energy. By adding a water source, you also can attract a larger variety of birds to your yard. You may even attract more colorful birds that don't eat seed, but are in need of water!