Perky-Pet® Squirrel Resistant Beginner Bundle - Specifications
- Strong wire grate and metal base on feeder prevents access to squirrels, while the dome bounces and wobbles throwing squirrels off balance when attempting to snatch the bird food. Removable pole and grate for easy cleaning
- Lyric Supreme Wild Bird Mix in 4.5 lb bag attracts a wide variety of birds
- Quick Fill Seed Scoop with finger control seed release for filling seed feeders in a snap - durable, hi-impact construction
What's in the Box:
- (1) platform bird feeder
- (1) 4.5 lb bag of supreme wild bird mix
- (1) quick fill seed scoop
- .5 lb seed capacity, feeder
- Seed attracts a wide variety of seed eating birds
- 4 cup capacity seed scoop
Disclaimer: Birdfeeder does not endorse any information contained in product reviews. Please follow all label instructions for your specific use.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Review RateNot effective
Squirrels were able to get into feeder after the second day. Wasn't very effective at all. The bird seed that came with the feeder was a huge attraction for the squirrels. I tried adjusting the feeder, but didn't work so ended up taking down.Response From Perky-Pet®Susan : Consumer Relations Representative
Once assembled, the locking bolt and locking nut can be used to adjust the baffle. This will allow you to lower the baffle to stop squirrels from stealing the seed.
We apologize that this was not your experience and would like the opportunity to learn more. Please feel free to contact our Consumer Relations Team at 1-855-PERKYPET (1-855-737-5973) for additional assistance.
- All About
All About Wild Birds
Wild birds are so common to us that we often glance at them without a second thought. When we really look at them, observe them and enjoy their special qualities, we can truly appreciate some of nature's amazing creatures.
Check out our Wild Bird Library to find out about some of your favorite birds!
Wild Bird Feeders - Expert Tips
Hanging Your Feeder
- Ideally a sheltered southeastern exposure location is best for hanging bird feeders since birds like to feed in the sun and out of the wind. Birds also prefer not to have any obstructions over their feeding area so they can see any predators. more»
- Bird Baths - A clean and reliable water source is an excellent way to attract birds to your yard, especially those birds that do not necessarily eat seed or nectar. All birds will seek out a water supply, not only for drinking but also for keep themselves clean and healthy.
- Bird Houses - These are a good way to attract those species of birds that nest in holes. These structures should be made of an untreated wood (pine, cedar, etc.) and should have ventilation and drainage holes. It should be durable, and easy to check and clean.more»
- Keeping your feeder clean and full of fresh bird seed is very important to the health of visiting birds. It is recommended that you clean your wild bird feeder every two weeks. more»
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What are the most popular bird seeds to use?
A: Black Oil Sunflower Seed is the most popular bird seed. It is much smaller than the traditional sunflower seed and best for those birds with smaller bills, such as the sparrow, junco and goldfinch. This seed is accepted by the greatest variety of birds.
Mixed Seed is also popular. It is best to buy the mixes that contain white proso millet, a tiny cream colored seed with a shiny shell. Mixes containing finely cracked corn and black oil sunflower are also preferred by a large number of birds.
Thistle Seed is imported from Africa and Asia. Thistle won't germinate, however, it has a tendency to become moldy due to lack of air circulation. If you notice mold on the seed, it must be removed from the feeder and the feeder must be cleaned thoroughly.
Q: How do I clean my bird feeders?
A: No/No feeders can be dish washed or hand washed. Before filling your feeders with fresh seed, it is recommended that the following precautions are taken:
- Remove all old seed.
- Place the feeder on top rack of the dish washer.
- Allow the feeder to dry completely before refilling.
- Remove all old seed.
- Soak feeder in a light water/bleach solution (9 parts water to 1 part bleach).
- Gently cleanse feeder and allow to air dry.
After the feeder is clean and dry follow these steps
- Rake and remove accumulated hulls and droppings from underneath the feeders.
- Spread mulch (bark or wood) under the feeder, replace mulch when soiled.
- Thoroughly wash hands after handling and cleaning feeders.
Q: What is the importance of providing water for wild birds?
A: Wild birds need fresh, clean water just as much as they need seed. Birds stay healthy by using water not just for drinking, but also for bathing, cleaning their feathers and to remove parasites. Waterers are better options than bird baths because they provide birds with fresh, clean water that prevents dirt and debris from contaminating it. In hotter climates or seasons, providing water for birds makes it easy for them to have access to a water source and retain their energy. By adding a water source, you also can attract a larger variety of birds to your yard. You may even attract more colorful birds that don't eat seed, but are in need of water!