Perky-Pet® first began as a distributor of various pet supplies in Denver, Colorado. In 1958, Perky-Pet® began searching for a way to feed the hummingbirds that people loved to watch outside their homes. The initial design was inspired by medical IV bottles, which were easy to adapt. After some experimentation with this design, Perky-Pet® introduced the first commercial hummingbird feeder to the world.
The quick success of this first feeder inspired many more innovations in bird feeding, including seed feeders for wild birds and other styles of hummingbird feeders. To this day, we strive to find stylish and effective solutions to meet the demands of bird hobbyists and enthusiasts alike.
Bird feeding isn’t just our specialty - it’s our lifestyle. We love feeding, watching, and learning about our feathered friends, and we know you do too! We’re inspired by this love to help others achieve the birding experience they desire. All of our products stem from our commitment to creating a bird-feeding experience that is fun, fulfilling and educational in a manner that is easy and cost-effective.
We are dedicated to bringing together bird lovers of all levels to share the rewarding experience that is bird feeding. There’s something incredibly satisfying knowing that there is a whole community of people around the world who share this joy and mission.
Perky-Pet® also strives to protect and promote conservation of the world’s birds. With these efforts, we hope to ensure they’ll always be around for us to enjoy their sights and sounds. Additionally, we know how important it is to foster a whole new generation of birders to continue those efforts. That’s why we collaborate with educators nationwide to inspire young citizen scientists.
Here at perkypet.com, we’re more than just bird feeders and accessories! We are built on helping bird lovers succeed in their efforts in any way we can. Our site is filled with information about your favorite wild birds, which can be found in our vast Bird Species Library, our Learning Center, as well as in our Articles & Tips section. Whether you’re a casual backyard birder or devoted bird enthusiast, we’re here to help you learn everything you need to know about the birds visiting your feeders.
First and foremost, we are a business that wants to help people. We strive to educate the birding community and provide the resources and materials people need to have a fulfilling birding experience. To do that, we support many organizations and educational institutions.
- CORNELL LAB OF ORNITHOLOGY – Through years of partnership with Cornell, we have been able to support them in their amazing research about birds. In addition, we sponsor the Ontario Feeder Cam and the West Texas Hummingbird Feeder Cam so bird lovers can tune in and watch their favorite birds from anywhere in the world.
- HUMMINGBIRD SOCIETY – We have been members and supporters of this exceptional organization for over 20 years. Additionally, we sponsor their annual Sedona Hummingbird Festival – it’s not just a festival, it’s a learning experience for any birder!
- ROCKPORT HUMMINGBIRD CELEBRATION – For over 20 years, we have been involved with supporting, sponsoring and attending the Rockport Hummingbird Celebration. Each summer, bird enthusiasts from all over come to the festival to learn about hummingbirds and see how the local hummers interact in this huge hummingbird town.
- DONATIONS TO TEACHERS – One of the best ways to foster a love of bird feeding is to engage children. Over the years, many teachers have reached out to us for donations, which we are happy to supply. These donations help to inspire budding young citizen scientists in primary and secondary schools nationwide.
- SUPPORTING BIRD RESEARCHERS – No matter how long we study birds, there’s always more to learn. That’s why we regularly promote events and support researchers in the field of ornithology who are making an impact in the birding community.