American Robin: Top 10 Most Interesting Facts
The American Robin is a long-time icon of the spring season, known for its bright orange belly and beautiful song! Here are a few interesting facts you may, or may not know.
- Robins are very popular birds both here in North America, as well as in Europe. In fact, it is the national bird of Great Britain!
- The male American Robin sings the most beautiful tune… he is often the last bird heard as the sun sets.
- The American Robin is the state bird for Connecticut, Michigan, and Wisconsin.
- Robins have a sweet tooth! Fruits, berries, sweet cakes, and even pastry dough are their favorites.
- The male and female look surprisingly similar, although if you look closely, the female is a bit duller than the male.
- In the past, Robins were killed for their meat, believe it or not. However, they are now protected in the U.S. thanks to the Migratory Bird Act.
- The American Robin is a known carrier for the West Nile virus. The Robin is able to hold the virus longer than other species, hence spreading it to more mosquitoes!
- Drunk Robins!? Yes, Robins sometimes will flock to fermented berries. By ingesting large quantities, they appear to be drunk and exhibit behaviors such as falling over while walking.
- Robins are known for their running and stopping behavior – it is one of their main characteristics!
- Although the comic-book superhero Robin was inspired by an illustration of Robin Hood, a later version had his mother nicknaming him Robin because he was born on the first day of spring!